Monday, May 17, 2010

CRAZY NAKED PEOPLE

Yesterday I went to this thing called Bay to Breakers. It's a race from one side of San Francisco (the bay) to the other (the ocean - or, uh, breakers). Bay to Breakers has been happening every year for the past 99 years (!) but this is the first time I've been allowed to participate.

Sort of.


I didn't actually get to be in the race. My human said it'd be hard enough to run from one end of the city to another - she didn't want to worry about having to carry "my chunky pug butt" to the finish line. Carry me?? Who does she think I am, broken Frank? Seriously. Google says Bay to Breakers is a 12k. I don't really know what a "k" is, but if there's only 12 of them, I'm sure I could totally make it.

But I still ended up waiting at the finish line. Dressed up like a lobster. A lobster wearing running shoes. Yeah. I was NOT happy about this at first. I mean, I felt like such a complete dork standing there in a lobster suit. Until all the other dorks - uh, I mean runners - showed up. People were dressed in all sorts of crazy costumes. Flying Elvises. Human port-a-potties. French fries. Penguins. And a ton of other things I couldn't really identify.

Oh - and there were naked people. Lots and lots of crazy naked peo
ple.

I know I walk around naked pretty much every day. But I've got fur. People without clothes on are just... naked. And naked people running around in the cold? Yeah. That's not something I ever want to see again.

Anyway. By the time my human to crossed the finish line, I'd learned how to run in my new shoes. It was kinda weird at first, but once I got the hang of them, I felt really... FAST. Sooo fast that I challenged brother Dutch to a race. Of course he said yes to me and my new fast shoes because he always, always wins.

My human made me take off my fast new shoes for the race. She said they gave me an "unfair advantage". I was kinda disappointed, but whatever. As you can see in the photo-finish, the race was close, but my chunky pug butt kicked someone's spotted, uhm, be-hind. Even without my new fast shoes.

15 comments:

Those Elgin Pugs said...

Oh Puglet!! 'Dat sounded likes so much funs!!
That would of been so interesting to sees alls the costumes and well (non-customes??.. hee hees)
Puglet!! We LOVES your gym shoes!! They are adorable!! You're nots a dork you looks cool!!
So who wons the race?? Yous or Dutch!!!
Loves,
Josie

Wilma said...

That was the best way to start my week Puglet. You in sneakers and a lobster suit.Mom is beside herself with laughter. I don't want to start anything, but it kinda looks there like you are cutting off Dutch at the finish line. Look whatever it takes, I woulda done the same thing. But is that fair? Just asking.

Stubby said...

Hi Puglet! You know I love the lobster costume but you MUST ditch those shoes. They are so silly looking even if they do make you run faster. It's not even really an advantage since all the thumbs wear them.

Of course you beat Dutch at a race because your legs are shorter than his. You are a running machine and he couldn't catch you if you gave him a head start.

Stubby xoxo

Puggyspice said...

Love the costume!!! And I totally understand why you would not want to see all those naked people again. Did you have nightmares?

Mia said...

Naked People? Running? WTH?!?!?!?!? That doesn't sound like a good idea at all!!! I think you look darling in lobster costume and running shoes!! Such a cutie!! Glad you beat Dutch too!! Someone needs to represent for the pug butts!!

~Hugs~

Lilo

Crabbie Chris said...

Hiya Puglet!! Mom says she avoids going into the city on the BTB weekend. Too many naked people, and none of them pretty. I like your costume, you look real cute. I can't believe you beat Brother Dutch, his legs are so long and lean. Pretty cool that you had those fast shoes. Glad you had a fun weekend.

Lafayette Lola said...

Hey there,Puglet!
Your mom is a rockstar for running that race! My mom watched it from the couch at home while she drank her coffee! Your shoes are so super cool- I have a rain coat with rain booties, but I tried to chew the shoes off, so my mom doesn't put them on anymore.
And OMG- you look just like me when I run!
We did see SF Popeye's in the background on the news when they talked about B2B- thought about you and Stubby.
LL

Ollie said...

Puglet,
Love the sneakers. They make you look like you're going to play tennis in a lobster suit.
But why only two? Your back paws are naked. Think how speedy you'll be fully sneakered.
Your human ran 12k? My walks are 5k and my human complains. Not anymore.

3pugs2luv said...

Our favorite Puglet picture so far! You make SF and the Bay Area proud. If your human runs the race next year, you'll have to go to cheer her on. Oh, Oh you can where the banana costume! We know you don't like the banana costume or the naked runners but we do what we gotta do for our family. Our human loves to put us in costumes, we don't like it but we do it. If it makes you feel any better we'll go too dressed up & your human will have a puggie cheerin section!
Zoey & Phoebe

THE PUGLET said...

Well, I don't know if you could really call what my human did running. One of her feet doesn't work, so think it was more like... a hobble?

Hmmm. I dunno why I only got two shoes. Good question. Maybe my human forgot I have FOUR feet? Or maybe front-paw drive is faster than all-paw drive? Not sure.

Sequoia & Petunia & Emma said...

Puglet you have the best times...well except for the naked people. We love your shoes though!!

S&P

Odey said...

Puglet, you do always seem to have the best adventures. Even though you sometimes feel like you're more the spectacle than part of it. I like you're shoes--I think their pawrific!

THE PUGLET said...

Oh, I'm all about being a spectacle. You know how easy it is to score snacks from strangers when you're, say, dressed up like a lobster?!!!?

Odey said...

Funny how my "your" seems to want to be 'you're' and my "they're" wants to be 'their'. I think the words just speak to me that way. Hmm, maybe I *should* have my human check my spelling after all, like she said she should. Oh, well : )

Otis

Mr. Puggle® said...

how funny!