Thursday, December 30, 2010

BEST. PRESENT. EVER.

Yeah, I know. It's almost next year and I'm still talking about Christmas. And you're probably thinking 'Ok Pug, enough with freaking Christmas already'. But trust me, you totally want to hear about this present.

Because this present is the gift of never-ending cookies. And it's a gift I'm going to share with all my friends (that's you!) so everyone can enjoy the Best Present Ever too.


I'm talking about The Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook.
Yup. A bit fat book of cookie-making awesomeness, written by the geniuses at the Bubba Rose Biscuit Company. I should probably mention that this present requires the use of working thumbs and was technically given to my human, but even she got kinda excited about it. Even though it's a recipe book and we all know how she feels about ovens and recipes and stuff.

Anyway. I was so excited about a life full of cookies from the ODBC that I wrote to the Bubba people and asked them if I could share some of the recipes with you (something about a copyright? Not sure. Google made me do it). The Bubba people were totally nice and said it's ok for me to share (thanks Bubba people!). I even convinced my human that we should test the recipes out before I share them. Y'know, for quality control purposes.

How awesome is that??

Pretty awesome, I think. My human has been totally MIA this week so we haven't tested any of the recipes yet. But I don't want to wait around for her thumbs to get home, so I picked out a recipe from a list of special treats for each month on the calendar. Since December is practically over (and January sounded super yummy), here's a recipe to help you celebrate the new year.

Oh yeah. First, a few things about the ODBC recipes. They are all corn, soy and wheat free (attn: Noodle and other allergics!!). I'm not technically allergic to corn, but it kinda makes me fart, so my human was happy to see the words 'corn free'.

Some of the ingredients they use might sound a little funky (what's an oat flour?) but my human said she's seen all of them in our local grocery store. If your human can't find something, the ODBC says dog biscuits aren't rocket science so it's ok to make substitutions and play around with different ingredients. I say you should add bacon whenever possible, but that's totally up to you and your human.

{January}
From Bubba Rose Bakery's Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook

For the dough:

1 cup oat flour

1 1/4 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup peanut butter (unsalted)

1 TBS honey

1 egg

2/3 cup water


For the topping:


8 oz. CAROB chips (check label for soy lecithin if allergic to soy!)
8 oz. WHITE chocolate chips (white chocolate is dog safe)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all dough ingredients together and mic until a dough forms. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4" thickness. Use a round cookies cutter or the rim of an upside down grass to cut our 2" circles of dough. Reform and reroll the dough to get as many circles from it as possible. Place the circles on an ungreased cookies sheet (they can be rather close together as they don't grow much while cooking).

Bake 20-25 minutes. Transfer and let cook completely on a wire rack.

When the cookies are cooling, prepare the topping. To do so, heat the white chocolate ships over low heat in a double boiler or microwave until melted. Dip half of each cookie into the melted white chocolate and place back on a wire rack to cool. Once all cookies are cooled to the touch, heat the carob chips in a double boiler or in the microwave until melted. Dip the other half of each cookie into the melted carob and place back on a wire rack to cool.

{Note: the San Antonio Pugs' patented drizzle technique would totally work for these cookies. Just put the melted stuff in plastic bags, cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and squeeze}

Store the cookies in a loosely covered container at room temperature or in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

{or immediately eat as many as possible before your human catches you}

Enjoy!

PS: I don't know if it's possible to be more afraid of baking than my human, but if yours just won't bake you can always order Bubba Rose cookies from their website or find them in a store near you.

10 comments:

Crabbie Chris said...

At first I thought you could open that book and have a cookie there ready for you to eat...now that you be the best gift ever! Mom loves to bake, but I can only eat so many cookies (ugh being a tubby pug is tough), so maybe mom will just have to share?
Thanks for idea pug!

Noodles said...

Thanks Puglet. I have been spending the majority of my time SINCE Christmas Day trying to convince my Human to make me some cookies. With a recipe in paw I think I am a bit closer to making this a reality.
Love Noodles

Anonymous said...

Hi Puglet,
Oh thank you for the book idea, mom has one reserved at Barnes & Noble, she said she will bring it home after work today. Down side, we're going to an agility competition this weekend, so no cookies not yet anyway.
Ellie, Emmitt & Eli from San Antonio

Hey, we can eat white chocolate..no way! Yippee!

Willie/Sara in Oregon said...

Puglet, you rock! You're so cool. Even though I'm about two years older than you, I look up to you!
I wish I could eat those cookies. Unfortunately, my health-crazed owners can't feed me cookies because they don't want me to gain weight. Aww, man!!!
Do you have any techniques about how to nab some extra bites of bacon? Any hints would be more than appreciated.
Got to get back to orbing the owners for more treat action. The tall girl with brown hair is extremely susceptible to the "big sparkly eye" trick. She is a terrific treat dispenser!

Talk to you later!
Willie from Lake Oswego, Oregon

Kellee the Caffeinated said...

Yay we just ordered the book from Amazon!!! Super excited!

~The Mama Monster

Noodle said...

Pug, I just have to say,... I love you, man. *sniff, sniff* This truly is The BEST Gift EVER. My humans each got a gift certificate for Borders for Christmas! THIS would be the PERFECT book to use some of that certificate on!! AND, you gave us a recipe to tide us over until we get the cookbook! Thank you Pug and Bubba Rose!!! (I'm now doing my Happy Happy Puggy Dance!)

Annabelle said...

Wow! Over 100 tail wagging recipes...my only disappointment is that I don't see a Puggie on the front or back cover. Thanks Puglet! I'll leave the Amazon open to kinda give my human a hint. By the way the pug bars were fantastic and were a big hit at Christmas!

Darwin said...

wow, i think i need to add this to my shopping cart on amazon!

SpencerBartholomew said...

Wow, Puglet... you are one lucky dude! My curly tail is wagging already for some of those tasty treats. We've gotta get that book!

gini said...

My human made the Bacon cookies today! She used 2 cups of steel cut oats soaked for 1 hr in water, 1 1/2 cups organic flour, 2/3 cup bacon fat congealed, 1/2 lb of bacon cooked, crumbled, 1/4 cup parsley, mixed, rolled in a several large balls in flour, cut out heart shapes (smallest cutter she has) and made roll cookies, sliced. She didn't chill the dough first, just baked at 350 for 35-40 min depending on the thickness. Some cookies were small bite sized ones for Tawny and me. The large heart ones are for the Cocker Spaniel friends, Mia and Jackson and for our cousin, Buster, who is a much bigger dog. Tawny doesn't like any treats and she scarfed these down like crazy! I mean, nothing we get her pleases her, but these...Oh gosh! our human keeps them in the cold box now so we don't smell them and she can give them to us when we do something really nice like pick up our toys....NOT! We don't pick up our toys...we get them out of the basket constantly! LOL!
Great recipe!