Wednesday, December 22, 2010

NO GOATS

All the rain we've been having here lately has made it pretty hard to have adventures. Because even when the rain stops falling from the sky, most of the places we hike get sooo crazy muddy, it's kinda hard to walk.

Me and Dutch have been driving my human a little nuts with all our extra energy, so she tried to fix the problem by finding us a new, not-so-muddy place to hike. Google helped her find a really cool place on the cow side of the grey bridge called Pt Pinole.

I love new places and was glad the mud situation gave us an excuse to check it out. That is until we got there and I saw the sign about the electric fence. The HIGH VOLTAGE electric fence.

The goats are where??

Huh?? I was kinda freaked out about the fence until my human explained it's not there to zap me - it's there to contain the goats. Goats? Yes, goats. They were in the park to eat weeds. Pretty cool, huh?

I'd never met a goat before and thought they might be fun to chase. Uhm, I mean play with. And I figured if it was safe for goats, then it was probably safe for deer ears. I've been kinda paranoid about getting accidentally shot and reaaally hate wearing that stupid santa hat, so this was a huge relief. Huge.

So when Dutch was off chasing his invisible squirrels, I hunted for goats. Since I'd never seen a goat, I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for but figured I'd know a goat when I saw it.

Well. I was wrong. I got all excited when I saw this guy standing underneath the tree. Especially since he was tied to the tree, making it much easier to win a game of chase-the-goat.

Bad idea. Because it turns out the goat was really a horse and humans don't think it's cool for dogs to chase horses. Especially horses who are tied to trees. My human yelled at me, the people who belonged to the horse yelled at me. Even the horse yelled at me. The only one who didn't yell at me was Dutch, and that's only because he's afraid of everything and was hiding behind a tree.


I never did find the goats. But I didn't find the high voltage electric fence or get shot either, so I guess I should be happy.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Puglet,
Goats huh... never saw one not yet anyway.

Our mom takes us to agility competitions that are held in AG barns. Short for Agricultural Barns. These places have the best smells (and poop) from animals. We've met pigs, sheep, bulls (complete with the penis part that we like to eat)and a few horses.

Ellie loves horses, but they are huge!! Like really big things. No wonder you got yelled at for bothering one, what were you thinking?? Crazy boy!

Ellie, Emmitt and Eli from San Antonio

Sara in Oregon said...

Aww, Puglet... sorry that you got yelled at. Horses can be really scary for little puggies like you. They're huge and have really heavy hooves... one time one stepped on my foot. OUCH!
Have a great day, little Puglet!!!

Coco the Pug said...

Dear Puglet,
I got yelled at one time for chasing a horse too! I was just trying to check him out, but my human said he might kick me and she made it sound like it would hurt. I've never seen a goat, but my human always says that I remind her of a goat because I'll eat anything, sticks, dirt, socks, you name it!. If goats eat anything too, they must be really smart, just like pugs!
Keep up your adventures. My humans are hoping that your rain will come to visit us in Colorado but that it will turn to snow along the way. Not me, I'm crossing my paws for more sunny weather!

Suki said...

Hi Pug,
You are so brave to go to a place that has an electric fence. Glad you didn't get zapped, it would have made your hair curly.

From all the rain, are your feet becoming webbed like duck feet?

Hugs,
Suki

Noodle said...

Hey Pug! We get goats down here too. They're hired to come eat the poison oak and dead brush so there's less fuel for wildfires. Isn't that cool?! They're HIRED to EAT! Man, I wish I could land a goat-gig. Try to go easy on your human. I'm sure all the rain is bummin' her out too.

Lola said...

Hey Pug! We have lots of goats in Lafayette- seems like they are everywhere! I've never gotten too close to one, but I bark from the safety of our car all the time!
About my UCDavis appt last week... yeah, that got canceled. I was so scared about having my fold removed, that I was trying everything to not have to go. As a last resort, I got up in the middle of the night and peed blood on the floor- totally worked. My mom woke up in the morning and totally freaked out. The Davis people said they wouldn't take care of that problem, and that I couldn't have surgery if I was sick. I took and emergency trip to the local vet, and now I'm on antibiotics. I don't have to go to Davis until the end of January, but I think I might feel a cough coming on....
Lafayette Lola

Anonymous said...

Hope the rains end soon. So scary to see what's happening to everyone out West. Be SAFE!

What a fantastic picture of the horse!!!

Ann (Frodo, Molly & Cleo)

Ollie said...

That's a fine looking horse but he looks like he could kick some serious pug butt! I wonder about horse poo though, tasty or not? What about goat poo? Hmm...

scrub4pups said...

I thought the weather yesterday was fine. Of course I hadn't been to San Francisco since 1975 so I don't have a lot to compare it to.

Do you and Dutch visit people at the hospital? I have to be at the VA Hospital for a few days in Feb and I will be missing my dogs since they won't let me bring them.

Anyway I enjoyed my brief visit yesterday.

THE PUGLET said...

Yup. The sign said goats, but there were definitely no goats. I'm glad other pugs have gotten in trouble for messing with horses. I kinda thought my human was overreacting. I mean, if I can outrun a cow, I can outrun a horse. Right?

Believe it or not, I'm not a huge fan of horse poo. That stuff is nasty! It's not soft and sweet like the cowpies. Hmmmm. Cowpies. Dutch likes the horse poo though. *Really* likes it.

I wonder what goat poo is like. More like a cow, or more like a horse?

THE PUGLET said...

Scrub4pups ~

I'm sorry you have to be in the hospital! I really want to be a therapy dog so I can use my pugness to make people happy, but I can't pass the test.

Y'see, if you jump up on people, you fail the test and they don't let you be therapeutic. My human has tried like everything to get me to stay on the ground, but I really hate being short. Looking at people's knees all the time really sucks.

:(

THE PUGLET said...

Thanks Coco in CO ~

My human's new nickname for me is Goatie. Because I eat everything too.

My man Noodle is totally right, I think we should all get jobs that pay us to eat. How cool would that be???

THE PUGLET said...

Hiya Lola!

Sorry to hear about the bloody pee. Smart move though. When I tried to escape surgery, I went the fake heart attack route and that didn't go well at all.

I know you're nervous about losing your fold, but the people at Davis are reeeally nice. They won't hurt you. I had my heart checked there and they also took away my boy parts - in the same exact place they will take away your fold.

And just think how many sympathy cookies your people will give you after your surgery. I bet you could even scrore bacon cookies. Even though that would totally gross out your 13 year old human.

Anonymous said...

Huh, boy parts are in the fold? Same place?? We are confused...They use goats here to eat the grass, one time they were right outside the dog park...and some sheep too...we didn't get to taste their poop though. Sure smelled good! Our human just made us some bacon cookies, yummy! You could go on a doggie food network!

Pearl and Tessa

snore stop said...

If goats eat anything too, they must be really smart, just like pugs!

Rocky said...

Dear Puglet

Glad to hear you love cow pies too. My human thought I was weird. Mmm, squishy goodness. Please tell my human I'm definitely normal and not weird. She'll believe you, she says your blog makes her fall about.

Rocky