Friday, September 25, 2009

AQUA PUG

I really did not enjoy the last time I hurt my foot. Brother Dutch got to do all the normal fun stuff, but I had to stay home and "recover". I got really antsy and my human said I [quote] drove her nuts after about the first 6 hours of my 7-10 day rest period.

S
o this time she found a way for me to burn off energy - without using my bad foot. At first I was skeptical. I mean, how much energy can you really burn without using your feet? She told me we'd be going to a cool place called The Rex Center, and promised it'd be both fun and "therapeutic". I didn't really care about the therapy part, but after a whole day of elevating, anything fun sounded good.

On the way to The Rex Center, my human filled me in on exactly what I'd be doing there: swimming! Turns out The Rex Center is an 'aquatic fitness center' for dogs. My human says The Rex is the perfect place for older, overweight and 'recovering' dogs like me to exercise safely.


We all know how much I like to swim, but when it came time to get in the pool I was kinda nervous. This is totally embarrassing, but I usually don't go anywhere without Brother Dutch and it was a little scary to to try something new all by myself. Cathy - owner of The Rex and an expert K9 swim coach - picked up on my fear right away and got into the pool so I wouldn't be alone.

With Cathy's help, it took about two seconds for me to forget all about being without Dutch and being scared. Cathy stayed in the pool with me, in case I remembered to be afraid, but there wasn't anything scary about the pool. It was nice and warm and 100% tsunami-free.

Cathy and I
got to talking and she told me five minutes of swimming is like going for a five mile run. By the time I got out of the pool, I was nice and tired. My human totally was right - I burned off all my antsy energy, had lots of fun, and my bad foot never touched the ground!

.....

The Rex Center
Pacifica, CA
www.therexcenter.com

5 comments:

The Rex Center, LLC said...

Yeah Puglet! You did great!! Thank your human for bringing you by to swim. It was fun. --Cathy

Anonymous said...

Puglet,
Glad you got to go out.You looked great in the picture with your vest on. Just kept doing what your human saids and you will be yourself in no time at all.
Your friend,
From South Carolina

Stubby said...

Hi Puglet! Your human always takes you to do the coolest things! I'm jealous and I'm going to start living vicariously through you.

I don't like water so I'm sure I wouldn't do good in the pool. Pools are too much like bath tubs - which I hate - so no pools for me.

You look very relaxed swimming around. I'm so glad you overcame your fear of doing things without Dutch. You have to stand on your own two feet at some point.

Stubby xoxo

dw said...

It's so nice you found a great way to release all that puggie energy! I hope you're foot gets better soon.

THE PUGLET said...

Swimming @ The Rex was really really fun. The Rex water was warm, it didn't sting my eyes and I didn't get hit in the face by any waves. Much better than swimming in the ocean!

I think I might stay hurt just so we can go again. Brother Dutch was sooooo jealous when he found out where we went. He thought we were going to the vet and was more than happy to stay home alone. He says he's going to fake a limp so he can go swimming at The Rex too.