Wednesday, January 27, 2010

GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS

The good news (extrasuper good news!) is I got another special tweet from Jenny the pug. Woo Hoo! She really liked my poem and the mini-Henrietta rubberchicken I sent (didn't want to scare the puglets so I went with a mini-Henrietta).

Jenny even put pictures on her website: check out my beautiful Jenny with her new toy! Do you think this means she might kinda like me??

Now it's time for the bad news. Don't worry, it's not about Jenny. It's about, well... dolphins. And it might make you leak so I'm sorry.

OK, so last night it was all cold and rainy. Perfect weather for snuggling on the couch and watching a movie, my human said.
Our couch is warm and dry. Movies mean popcorn. Sounded good to me.

And it was good. For a little while. I snacked and snuggled and fell into a deep popcorny sleep. And then the screaming started.

EEEEIIIIIIIIK! EEEEK EEK EEEEEIIIIIIKKKKKKK!

ME:
MMmwhat is THAT?

MY HUMAN:
dolphins.

ME:
why are they making that awful sound?

MY HUMAN:
because people are stabbing them in the head with a harpoon.

ME:
oh.


I couldn't really go back to sleep after hearing that, so I watched the rest of The Cove in horror. I missed a whole bunch of details, but The Cove is mostly about dolphins in Japan getting killed for no reason. It's also about a bunch of people trying to stop the dolphin killing.

Both parts of The Cove made me really sad. I felt bad for the dolphins. And I felt bad for this one guy who leaked a lot. He blames himself for the dolphin killings because he made the world fall in love with some dolphin named Flipper.

I never thought much about dolphins before watching The Cove. Now I can't stop thinking about how much they need help. Google says the movie slowed down the killing in parts of Japan, but dolphins are still in big trouble.

The Cove
will totally make you leak, but if leaking helps save lives then I guess it's worth it.
If you haven't seen The Cove and want to help, you can help by signing a petition online (I was signature #82,623).

9 comments:

Gracie the Agility Pug said...

I signed the petition - thanks for the heads up. Dolphins are REALLY smart, like pugs, and very self-aware. Anything to help them, we'll do it.

I like that you sent a Henrietta. I have LOTS of Henriettas - the swimming one, the angel one, the christmas one, and her boyfriend Earl. My friend has a hippie one.

Arnie the agility pug

Stubby said...

Hi Puglet! You are so into Jenny! And I think she's smitten with you too. I checked out the photos on her website and I think it's true love. You are one lucky dude.

One of Mom's peeps posted on FB that she went to see "The Cove" a couple of weeks ago. Mom has seen so many documentaries about the dolphin killing and is glad that it's finally reaching a wider audience. Mom actually picked up the film from the library yesterday but I'm not going to watch it because I don't want to leak. Mom is much stronger than I am when it comes to that stuff.

Mom is always telling me about the sea turtles that wash up on her beach in Georgia. The poor turtles drown in shrimp nets. It's such a painful death but no one has ever made a movie out of it. There is so much unnecessary animal killing. It's very sad.

Stubby xoxo

THE PUGLET said...

Holy cowpies, Arnie.

I had no idea there were so many Henriettas to choose from!?! We're on about Henrietta #9. She is the only toy Dutch will play with and I always try to steal her away. Sometimes this causes problems.

Thanks for helping the dolphins. They seem almost as smart as us pugs!

THE PUGLET said...

Hey Stubbs -

Do you really think Jenny is smitten with me and not her new Henrietta?? I've already started working on my next poem. Only a few weeks til V-day.

If you take away the dolphin killing, The Cove is actually a pretty cool movie. Is kinda suspenseful, the humans are cool and they used some really funky cameras.

They don't go overboard on the screaming dolphin scenes, so you could probably just close your eyes/ears for that part.

Smushie Ranch said...

Hi Puglet. We're gonna sign the petition. Thank you for sharing about the dolphins. Mom has such a hard time watching those kinds of shows!

Snorts,
Stella, Gunther and Betty

Dutch the Pug said...

Puglet! What a lovely gift for your little lady Jenny! She is a cutie! We checked out her website and it looks like she is famous!

3pugs2luv said...

Thanks for the heads up on the petition. We saw our human sign it, then we went to our neighbors & asked them to sign it. It's still January & you are already making real progress on your revolutions. Congratulations! We saw Jenny on her website & we think she is sooooo into you. You two are our favorite celebrity couple. Move over Bradgelina...it's Pug & Jenny!
Luv, Zoey & Phoebe

THE PUGLET said...

Y'know, I was JUST thinking about becoming famous (more on that tomorrow). If Jenny is famous then I probably *definitely* need to be famous too. That's how it works, right? Like with the Brangelina people?

Thanks everyone who joined the petition to save the poor dolphins!!

Anonymous said...

Jennys gotta a boyfriend. NANAN A NANA. PLEEEZE don't become "punny" like that brangelina couple. Stay cool.....