Wednesday, July 15, 2009

HELLO JELLYFISH!

It was really really hot again yesterday so I talked my human into taking us to the beach to cool off. Loads of other dogs had the same idea so there were plenty of friends to play with but I still managed to get myself into some trouble.

Hello, Jellyfish! I honestly thought it was some kind of dog toy. Like a really cool frisbee or something. Brother Dutch was hogging the rubber chicken, so I was just trying to keep myself entertained. I had no idea the thing would launch an attack on my face.

Ok, attack might be too strong a word to attach to something that doesn't move. But it hurt like an attack. I mean, it
really hurt. I wanted to fight back, wanted to tear the evil jellyfish to bits - but my human intervened. She said the jellyfish didn't mean to hurt me, it couldn't help it. I don't know why she didn't step in *before* I stuck my nose where it didn't belong, but better late than never. I guess.

We left the beach right after the attack and by the time we got home, I could almost feel my face again. I asked my friend Google what the jellyfish's problem was, why it was so mean. As always, Google was full of wisdom
: Jellyfish don't have a brain or consciousness, just a collection of nerves. They don't sting because they are angry. They do it out of reflex. Uh, ok. But it still hurt.

Just in case you ever decide to stick your face in a jellyfish, Google says there are things you can do to relieve the pain:
-- apply vinegar on the sting; acidity counteracts jellyfish venom.

-- if you don't happen to have vinegar with you at the beach, wash the wound with sea water. Do NOT use fresh water or bottled water, it will only make things worse.

-- if none of the above works, get a friend to pee on you. I guess this might work better if you're a dog though.

1 comment:

Odysseus said...

OMG Puglet. That's so scary. Mommy and Daddy took me to Monterey today and I saw a lot of these in the water. They are very evil looking -- just drifting about in the water and up to no good.

Are you feeling better now?