Monday, May 18, 2009

RUN LIKE A GIRL!

Yup, race time again.

Guess it's not all that exciting to watch me watch TV. But I really like watching the horses and Saturday's Preakness Stakes was really worth seeing. For one, the winning horse was a girl and a girl horse hasn't won the race in a very long time (1924). Not only did she beat alllll the boys, but Rachel Alexandra is the first horse EVER to win the race from the 13th gate (positions are drawn by lottery; 13th is farthest from the center of the track so whoever gets stuck there ends up running a longer distance).

With 1st place going to Miss Rachel and Derby winner Mine that Bird placing 2nd, there's no chance of a Triple Crown winner this year. I guess it's a real big deal for a horse to win all three races in the series (Kentucky Derby, Preakness AND Belmont Stakes) -- it's been over 30 years since that's happened.

My human's not a huge racing fan, but brother Dutch told me she used to have a "recycled" racehorse and really just likes the horse part. Lucky for me, she likes to put horses on the TV so I'll probably get to watch the Belmont in a few weeks. I'll let you know if something fantastic happens.

No comments: