Friday, April 10, 2009


** This is a Puglet Service Announcement **

Chocolate Easter bunnies like this might look harmless, but don't be fooled! If you're a dog, these little bunnies can be lethal.

Chocolate contains a mild stimulant (Theobromine) that's OK for humans but BAAAAD for dogs. As yummy as it is, our doggie bodies just can't handle it. The potential for chocolate bunny toxicity depends on the type of chocolate and size of dog.
Dark chocolates tend to be the most toxic, white chocolate the least. Milk chocolate bunnies fall somewhere in the middle. ALL mean trouble and should be kept out of dog's reach.

Signs of chocolate toxicity (usually seen within 12 hours):

  • Excitement / nervousness / trembling
  • Vomiting / diarrhea
  • Excessive thirst / urination
  • Muscle spasms
  • Seizures
Severe toxicity can lead to seizures, coma and even death. Contact your veterinarian.

PS: Common things like raisins/grapes, macadamia nuts, tylenol, and the artificial sweetener Xylitol (commonly used in sugarless gum) can also harm your dog. Visit the American Veterinary Medical Association website for more information.

1 comment:

Floris, Manu and Jessica said...

Haha, I especially like the "whoops, sorry!" look on the bunny :-). But you are so right about the threat this innocent-to-us poses to dogs... good to get the info out!