Tuesday, February 2, 2010

HAIKU

Y'know, I just can't stop thinking about Jenny the pug. I've never been in love or had a girlfriend or anything so I don't really know how it works. I mean, if we really do like each other, what's supposed to happen next?

My bud Stubby (the wisest pug I know) said
Valentine's Day is coming up and since it's a special-day for love, I should send Jenny something to celebrate. I'm still on the fence about getting her a freeze-dried bullypenis so early in our relationship - but since she liked my last poem, I'm definitely sending more poetry.

Trouble is, writing poetry is kinda hard. Not that hard is bad - I'd do anything for Jenny. It's just that poems are supposed to rhyme and what I want to say doesn't rhyme. And I don't want to say stuff I don't mean. Especially about love. And definitely not to Jenny.

So I asked Google for help.

GOOGLE:
Have you tried Haiku?

ME:
Hi-what?

GOOGLE:
Haiku. It's a non-rhymed verse genre that conveys an image or feeling in three lines. The first line has 5 syllables, the second has 7 syllables and the last line has 5. Haiku should also contain a kigo, a word that represents something seasonal.
ME:
Uh.
Non-rhymed verse genre? Syllables? Kigo??
GOOGLE: Translation: Nothing has to rhyme. There are only a handful of words. Forget about the kigo, you're a pug.


No rhyming and few words? Sounds like perfect poetry for pugs. I just hope Jenny likes Haiku. What do you think?


My First Haiku

Poems without rhymes
sound like perfect love poems-
at least to this pug.



16 comments:

Mr. Puggle® said...

I'm still on the fence about getting her a freeze-dried bullypenis so early in our relationship -

********i SWEAR i almost spit out my coffee when i read that. literally! oh puglet, you are too much!

Lola said...

You are so thoughtful, Puglet! I'm sure Jenny will love anything you send her- especially a bull penis. They were my favorite before I was on this diet! Maybe Dutch could help you write a haiku for Jenny? I wonder if Jenny is already thinking about what to get YOU for Valentine's Day... maybe there's poetry coming your way, too!
Lafayette Lola

Two Pugs in a Pod said...

Poem for Jenny
A fine way to show your love
for Valentine's Day

agent99 said...

Puglet, you Haiku is perfect. I am sure Jenny will love it too. And as for the dried treat, she is, afterall, a pug. I say she'd appreciate it.
Any pug would be lucky to have you as a boyfreind because you are so thoughtful.

Good Luck!
Love
Gen & the Foo

3pugs2luv said...

Puglet you are an excellent writer. Your poem is perfect. A haiku is the perfect way for a pug to express himself. Haiku & pugs are very much the same; full of expression in a smaller form. A great idea for a book; Puglet's Book of Haiku. We would buy it your haikus & your humans pictures.

Luv, Zoey & Phoebe

P.S. Jenny will love the poem

THE PUGLET said...

Exactly, Lola. I can't send Jenny a bullypenis if she's on a diet; half the pugs I know are on a diet (including me).

Uh... what were *you* thinking Mr Puggle ;)

THE PUGLET said...

Zoey & Phoebe -

OOOOOOOOH! I reeeeeally like the Haiku book idea. You have so many good ideas. Can you guys be like my... agents?

THE PUGLET said...

haiku = multum in parvo poetry

I'm glad you all think Jenny will appreciate Haiku. I was just getting warmed up with 'My First Haiku', now I have to write a REAL one.

Thanks for inspiring me >>

"Poem for Jenny
A fine way to show your love
for Valentine's Day"

3pugs2luv said...

We would love to be you agents! What are agents? We are going have to ask Google.

Luv, Zoey & Phoebe

Stubby said...

Hi Puglet! I can't believe I'm the wisest pug you know. That's the best compliment ever - thank you!

I think Haiku is the perfect way to go with your poetry because though structured, it has more flexibility. You can say so much while saying so little. I know Jenny will be impressed with your Haiku because not many pugs even know what it is.

Stubby xoxo

Pee-s: Has Jenny tweeted you lately?

Anonymous said...

Great first Haiku, Puglet!

I just have to tell you this and put in a little plug... A friend of mine has co-authored a few dog-themed haiku books. Her latest one is dedicated to rescues and she donates a portion of the profits to the rescue of your choice! Check it out:

http://resku.homestead.com/

I bought a few last year for gifts and asked that the donation be made to our local pug rescue, PROS. I would LOVE to have a haiku book penned by you!!!

Again, just a thought,
Mushu's mom
xoxo

THE PUGLET said...

Hiya Mushu's mom~

'Resku Haiku' - how cool! Forget about children's books. I'm totally going to Haiku :)

THE PUGLET said...

Hey Stubbs ~

Oh yeah, you have much wisdom. Not as much as Google, but pretty close.

I'm soooo glad everyone is into the Haiku idea. And you're right - you CAN say so much while saying so little. I haven't heard from Jenny since that last tweet.

I'm trying to play it cool. I don't want her to change her mind and think I'm a stalker.

Buford T. Justice said...

Hey Puglet,

Your Haiku is AWESOME!!!!!! She's gonna Love it....

I'm rooting for you Dude.

Your Pals,
Buford T. Justice, Bambi, Peggy, Per-Li-Mae, and Lacy

PS. Momma wanted me to tell you the the Bullypenis gift is still good for her if she's on a diet...They are only 1% fat (80% protien)!!!! I know that cause I get to taste test them remember?

Buford T. Justice said...

LOVE the Resku Haiki idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'd definitely buy one!!!!!!!!!!!

THE PUGLET said...

Holy cowpies Buford T (& co)-

My human's been feeding us carrots lately so I TOTALLY forgot bullypenises are low fat!! They taste so good, you'd think they'd make you hefty.

Thanks for reminding my human that bullypenises are good for me. Carrots are Ok, but.....