Friday, June 12, 2009

GIVE A PHONE, SAVE A PUG

I know I've been doing the soapbox thing a lot lately, but sometimes I just can't help myself. Please don't hate me for it, I'm just trying to make the world a better place.

Well, today I'm back up on my box and have a favor to ask. Remember in that post about my cousin Sophie, how I said rescues are really overwhelmed right now? Well, I just found out that our local pug rescue (Pug PROS) has been working overtime and has lots of big medical bills to pay. So to raise money they're doing I'm calling a "trash for cash" drive. Ok, it's not trash exactly (more like old cell phones and empty ink cartridges) but they're basically collecting things you don't need and recycling them to raise money for the pugs.

We all know I'm a huuuuge recycling fan, so I just love the idea of turning old junk into cash for needy pugs. Besides, what else are you ever going to do with an old cell phone? My human looked through a special drawer in her office and found 3 old phones she didn't even know were in there. When the printer runs dry, we'll be mailing in our empty inks.

Which brings us to the favor.... Can y'all check your junk drawers for old cell phones and save your printer's empty ink cartridges? Please donate whatever you find to the pugs:

PUG PROS
PO Box 5094

Concord, CA. 94524


Oh. And just in case you're not familiar with the rescue scene, my human says these groups are mostly unpaid volunteers who have regular full-time jobs and dogs and families of their own to take care of. And unlike shelters and humane societies who receive government funding and support, rescues have to raise their own money.

Groups charge an adoption fee to offset costs and keep the rescue effort alive. These fees also go towards things like medical bills. Trouble is, some dogs get rescued because their original humans couldn't (or wouldn't) pay to treat an illness. And some of these dogs are VERY expensive to fix. Like thousands of dollars expensive. I suck at math, but even I can see how hard it must be to make the numbers add up right. Luckily, rescue groups care more about dogs than math so they figure out a way to make things better.

Please do what you can to help them!


PS: If you're a rescue group, think about doing your own "trash for cash" drive. Visit the EcoPhones
website to see how it works (it looks really easy!). My human says she'll even design a poster to help your group promote the fundraiser. Just email us (the address is in my profile).

No comments: