Thursday, October 29, 2009

PUG ON ART: Samuel Price

Remember when I went to that Pumpkin Festival and saw stuff called "art"? Well, there was a collection of pieces (technical terms for art stuff) that were so cool, I hunted down the artist who made them. And yesterday we took a trip to his studio.

In case you're as new to this art stuff as I am, an "artist" is someone who can take bits of nothing and turn them into beautiful, uh, works of art. At least that's how I understand it. And that's exactly what my new artist friend Samuel Price does. He takes bits of old magazines... and turns them into dogs.

Seriously.
In Sam's hands, that little scrap I'm holding in my mouth can become art.

Sam told me it's called collage and he's been doing it for about 10 years. "Collage" was another art thing I'd never heard of, but my friend Google told me people have been doing it for a really long time. Sam started doing collage out of something my human calls necessity.

"When I was young and couldn't afford to buy paints, I began cutting up the magazines and newspapers I had lying around in my studio and gluing them to a canvas," he told me.

I can't imagine how many hours Sam spends looking through magazines before he finds all the bits he needs to make a dog (each canvas has more than 1,000 little squares). But somehow, by the time he's finished, all those little squares look just like a frenchie, or a beagle - even a pug!

I wish you all lived near Sam so you could visit him and his dog collages too. But you can see a lot of them on his website thingy: www.mydogcollage.com.

And trust me, you really want to see them.

---
No-Contest Contest News
The gallery is getting nice and full (and VERY cute). Be sure to visit the No-Contest gallery to AWWWW at everyone.

And if you haven't sent in your picture yet... hurry up! Dailypuglet.com for all the info.
---


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Frenchie is made out of paper squares? Really???

Anonymous said...

We checked out the artist's website and saw the pic of the pug - wow - he's really good!

My mom loves all the pics in your photo gallery - she was AWWWW'ing over & over again!!!

Frodo

Mr. Puggle® said...

very cool art!

Meg n Lola in Las Vegas said...

Too cool. I told my Daddy he should totally cough up $800 and commission my picture! He laughed at me. Apparently, I'm a comedian...? Pug Hugs, Lola in Las Vegas

Paula said...

Very nice art work your friend Samuel Price does. Kind of like a photo mosaic.

THE PUGLET said...

Frodo - I know!! That's why we hunted him down.

My human didn't have a camera with her at the Pumpkin Festival so we couldn't get a picture of me with Sam's art. Luckily, he's a really nice man and let us come visit!

THE PUGLET said...

Hey Miss Lola!

Maybe your dad thought you said "laugh up", not "cough up"?

Maybe he was practicing laughing up money so you can get collaged??

pugnse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.