Wednesday, October 21, 2009

RACE CARS, NOT DOGS

---
GOOD NEWS!
I found a new contest. I know I said no more contests. But this one is different because *I* am in charge! Read about Sophie, then have a look :)
** Puglet's No-Contest Contest **
---

Since I won't be donating $100,000 to rescues any time soon, now's probably a good time time tell you about Sophie. Not my pug-cousin Sophie in New Jersey -- this Sophie is a greyhound we met at the Pumpkin Festival. She was there with a few other greyhounds and some people from greyhound rescue (Greyhound Friends for Life).

I don't know about you, but I'd never met a greyhound before and didn't know too much about them. Sophie was really sweet and super-chatty. She told me alllll about greyhounds. And why they need rescuing.

Sophie told us it's really rare to meet a greyhound that didn't come from a racetrack. She explained that greyhounds are like dog-versions of the racehorses I've seen on TV. People breed them to race, and only to race. Problem is, races are kinda like contests: they're not always nice and there can only be one winner. The even bigger problem is that dogs who don't win races aren't worth anything to the people who race them. You can probably guess what that means.

And Sophie said even the dogs who do win don't have it easy. They live at the track in kennels and race until they get injured or hit something called a "mandatory retirement age" (5yrs) - whichever comes first. Even though greyhounds can live 12-14 years, when they're done racing, they're usually, y'know... done.

That's where the Greyhound Rescue people come in. They take dogs like Sophie from the track and find them real homes and forever humans. I hope you don't mind me letting Sophie be my stunt double for today's photo, but maybe someone here has been looking for a dog just like her. Besides, I think you've seen moooore than enough of my face lately!

14 comments:

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

Sophie is a beautiful dog. Mom says one of her co-workers rescued a greyhound.

We love you no-contest contest. We are going to have mom look through all the oh so adorable photos of us and enter one.

Pugs & Kisses,

Yoda & Brutus

Smushie Ranch said...

The Greyhound rescue is a great cause. Mom told us all about it after meeting a rescued Greyhound at the park. She was quite beautiful. In fact, Gunther was rather smitten with the long-legged beauty. To snap him out of his foolish behavior of running around her and wiggling his butt and curly tail for all to see, I curtly bit him in his ham hock. I'm sure not all Greyhounds elicit such reaction Puglet. But to be on the safe side, I recommend you keep an eye on your brother.
xoxo
Stella

agent99 said...

Puglet - we can never get eough of YOUR face. We are going to make a sneaky suggestion that you check out our blog, cuz sometimes the little guy DOES win. No, it's not a billion Greenies, but we hope you like it.

love
Gen & the Foo

Paula said...

Puglet; What a nice contest. I just sent a picture of my trio.

Sophie, such a sweet face. Thank God for rescues.

Rosie the Party Pug said...

We know a human that fosters Greyhounds and they are really fun dogs. Our human has LOTS of pictures of me and my dog brothers. I'm sure she'll send in at least one! Love ya Puglet!

Meg n Lola in Las Vegas said...

We love no-contest-contests!!! Sophie looks like a sweet girl, rescues organizations are wonderful! Pug Hugs, Lola in Las Vegas

THE PUGLET said...

YAY - we've gotten a few No-Contest entries. Please keep 'em coming. I want to fill an entire gallery with nothing but love and cuteness!!!!

Sophie the greyhound was very sweet. I hope she finds a good human. This is a little weird, but if you ever meet a greyhound, be sure to feel their fur. My human says they don't really look soft, but their fur is really silky. The softest thing she's ever touched.

THE PUGLET said...

Congrats on the bloggy award Gen & the Foo! And super-thanks for mentioning me as a good puggy blogger.

AND thanks for mentioning the blog 'Multum in Parvo (with a Cinnabon tail)'. That Cinnabon-tailed Salinger is too funny - and I'm not just saying that because my human says my tail looks like a Danish.

Adding a list of other puggy blogs is on my human's to do list...

sigh....

Anonymous said...

I've met a few rescued Greyhounds and they are the biggest couch potatoes, so sweet and great companions. I hope Sophie gets a good human too. Love the pics on the no contest site. Looking forward to seeing more. Can't send a pic of Frodo - my email won't let me attach anything anymore :(

Stubby said...

Hi Puglet! That Sophie is a real looker. We have a neighbor who had a rescued greyhound and he was super cool. Really mellow and yes, very soft.

I love the no-contest contest! What a great idea! And the website is the bomb. I'll have Mom look for a cute picture of me and if she can't find the perfect one, she'll have to get the camera out and do a photo shoot.

Stubby xoxo

THE PUGLET said...

Oh no - Frodo! if your mom has a picture to enter, you HAVE to be in the No-Contest!

Email me and I'll tell you how to put your picture right into the gallery. It isn't hard - you just need the secret password :)

THE PUGLET said...

Heya Stubby! Can't wait to see your picture. Just tell your mom to kill the flash if she decides to break out the camera :)

I wasn't going to mention this, but since you mentioned your mellow greyhound friend... when I first saw Sophie she was lying on a dog bed. She was lying so perfectly still, I thought she was a stuffed animal or something.

Then she sneezed and it TOTALLY freaked me out. I feel really bad about it now, but at the time I was afraid so I barked my head off at her. Of course she was totally cool about it, but I think brother Dutch & my human were really embarrassed.

Lola said...

That Sophie is so cute! I hope she finds a forever home real soon- all dogs deserve one.
We loved looking at the contestants for your oh-so-great 'no contest contest'. Whoever has 4 puggies must have a super fun house! My mom says having a pug is like having a forever 2 year old and she can't imagine having twins, triplets, or quads.
Kudos to the dalmation entry, too1 can't leave brother Dutch on his own.
Thanks for holding a spot for me- we'll take care of our entry later.
Lola in Lafayette

THE PUGLET said...

Hi Lola!

I just asked my human if we could bring some more pugs home. She said no, we have Dutch. I told her Dutch = about 3 pugs... We could trade him in and then we'd be a four-pug house too!

Of course I was just kidding.

We'll keep a big spot open for you :)