Wednesday, October 28, 2009

ROCKET DOG

Last night we were just hanging out on the couch when my human got a message on her phone asking us to vote in a contest.

UGH! What's with all these stupid contests?!? she said. I am SOOOO sick of voting and contests! But then she read the whole message, made a bee-line for the computer, and voted.


I asked what changed her mind about being sick and contests being stupid. Oh, I'm still sick of them and they are still stupid. But I can't NOT vote for Rocket Dog.


Rocket Dog? I was pretty sure we didn't know any dogs named Rocket Dog. My human explained that Rocket Dog isn't a dog - it's a group that rescues dogs. Then she told me the story behind Rocket Dog, which I'm going to share because it's a good one. Even though it might make you a little leaky.

This is what my human told me:

So, the lady who started Rocket Dog (her name is Pali) understands what it's like to need rescuing. She grew up on the streets (her mother was mentally ill/an addict who died when Pali was 10) and as an adult, Pali found herself homeless, HIV-positive and living with addiction.

Then one day, Pali met a shelter dog named Leadbelly. And Leadbelly taught Pali that you can't take care of the ones you love if you're not taking care of yourself. So she went to rehab, got off the streets, and now dedicates her life to saving dogs like the one who saved hers. And when I say
dedicates, I mean DEDICATES.

By the time she finished telling me the Rocket Dog story,
my human was a little leaky (you can read the full story here). She said there are lots of people with big hearts who'd love to save the world, but not many people like Pali who actually devote 100% of themselves to trying.

And that's why she clicked for Rocket Dog.

--

I'm never asking anyone to vote for anything again. Ever. But if you like voting and are looking for things to vote for... might i suggest this contest from some lady named Rachel Ray ? It's just for rescue groups like Rocket Dog.

Clicking for this one takes a few minutes because you have to vote for a bunch of stuff, but my human says it's interesting to read about all the different groups who entered. Oh - and you only vote once a week, not everyday.

9 comments:

Stubby said...

Hi Puglet! I'm heading over to check out this Rachel Ray lady and her contest. Mom told me about Rocket Dog clothes, but she hadn't heard of Rocket Dog rescue. I think she needs to get out more often.

Stubby xoxo

Meg n Lola in Las Vegas said...

Dear Puglet, This is an "at home" project for my Mom tonight! Is it cold in California? It just got cold in Las Vegas and I'm not too sure about it. Pug Hugs, Lola in Las Vegas

Smushie Ranch said...

Thanks Puglet. We'll check it out and do what we can for Rocket Dog rescue!

xoxo
Stella and Gunther

THE PUGLET said...

It's OK Stubbs, Rocket Dog is a San Francisco thing. Hey, I didn't know about Popeyes!?!

If anyone has time to vote - cool. If not, forget I ever mentioned the voting part. Even if nobody votes for RD, I still wanted to share their story. My human says the Pali lady (who I've met & is supercool) is an "inspiration".

Whatever that is.

Lola said...

About the no-contest contest: we love the pug in pearls! How sweet of her to get all dressed up for the occasion!
Lola in lafayette

Ollie said...

Pug, you are wise. If you think we should vote, then we will vote.
P.S. Your human is also an "inspiration" to Team Puglet.

Paula said...

Puglet,

Always a good idea to vote for good causes.

Rosie the Party Pug said...

My human has heard of this rescue. We are all for rescues. She says that the more dogs we rescue the more dogs at the dog park!!!

PS. My human is in Dallas (?) so she has been really bad about leaving comments. I am anxious to know if there are dogs in Dallas. I've heard there are cowboys. What the heck is that?

THE PUGLET said...

Yeah, we like good causes too. Even if it means another dumb contest :)

Rosie - I dunno about dogs in Dallas, but I just heard on NPR that there's a lady there who makes wigs for cats. Wigs? For cats!?!

http://www.kittywigs.com